Cloud Computing Search

Monday, June 24, 2013

An Alumnus Shares Views on how students should prepare for Industry

Dear Respected Sir,

This mail is regarding the "Help Us to Update our Curriculum by Giving Your Valuable Inputs".My thought were bit different,So thought of writing a mail.

I want to speak to you  honestly, 
I'm distinction holder from VTU (2010) and one of best employee in my company. After been in IT industry for nearly 3 years,what I have realized is anybody with 60% above can fit in IT career and make life out of it. I mean to say Strong curriculum is important but it is not just enough.So instead of discussing on what curriculum we need to set,I want to discuss on some things that makes my college special compare to any other colleges. 

I'm putting my thoughts here.
The basic point of having technical education is to impact the society in positive way using our skills in technical. Success definition in college should be helping society by applying technical skills and not getting placed in company. We need a shift in thinking here.

So here 2 points are necessary . 
1. Strong technical knowledge  
2.creative thinking/empowering students for new ideas/leadership or entrepreneurial qualities.

 The first point .i.e Strong technical knowledge doesn't come only by reading text-books. I think its about what is technology and where can we apply it. we are lagging much behind in application part. Bringing the technology into practical world is what makes quality education.Certainly Industrial exposure will help in this. Projects will definitely help a lot in self-thinking and execution of same.Why only mini-project or 8th sem project? . Projects should be encouraged(not made compulsory) for every sem starting from 1st semester. In fact the thinking should be how can i bring every single concept into real world or is there anything where can I connect between concepts? .My Point is " We should never ever deviate from real world ".  

If I ask question to myself, what is difference between SDM and other IITs?.


1. First Point is students. Its not the teachers who will build healthy environment around college.Its all about the quality of students. I believe some of lecturers in SDM are much better than IITs. IIT is special because of environment or association of students who has right thinking (lol: students who doesn't complain about IA marks).We also need help from professors to implant the success idea and encourage students to do something bigger.

2. I would encourage on also entrepreneurial sessions where in a successful entrepreneur gives speech about how he connected the dots and made it happen.

Again I want to emphasize that success definition of student should be impacting people in a positive way through technology and not getting placed in company.because those entrepreneurs will create the economy and writes history .But those people are only 5% and rest 95% people works for those entrepreneurs. .Lets focus on creating those 5%. 

I hope this will help.

Thanks,
Pranesh Santikellur
I'm working on my dream to become true and I'll make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment